It is important to know how to store turmeric properly, especially if you often buy it in bulk and would like for it to last a long time and still be in good quality.
Powdered Turmeric doesn’t spoil, but over time it can lose its potency and taste.
What is Turmeric Powder?
Turmeric Powder is made from the crushed and dried root of the Turmeric Plant. The fresh root is oblong and knotty, similar to ginger root. While Ground turmeric is a yellow powder that can vary widely from deep yellow-orange to bright yellow, depending on the variety of turmeric plant used to make it.
Turmeric has a uniquely warm, bitter flavor and an earthy, mustard-like aroma. It adds color and it brings out the overall flavors of the dishes it is added to. It is a spice that can be found in almost all Indian homes and is popular with Asian Cuisine.
How long does Ground Turmeric Powder last
The precise shelf life that Turmeric has depends on how well it is stored.
How to Store Fresh Turmeric and How long Does it last
You can store fresh turmeric in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Or you can freeze it and use it for up to 6 months.
Tips to Storing Powder Turmeric so it lasts a long time
1. Store ground or powdered turmeric in a cool, dark cupboard, away from direct heat or sunlight. Avoid window- sill spice racks.
2. Store the turmeric away from stoves, or any area that has high temperatures which will cause the spice to lose its flavor and strength.
3. Store the finished homemade turmeric powder in an air-tight glass container, such as in a mason jar with tight-fitting lid.
4. Use Opaque or colored bottles to store the turmeric this is because light won’t enter colored bottles as easily as clear bottles. Light can affect the flavor over time and age the turmeric quicker. And also clear plastic containers are easily stained by the turmeric powder.
5. Make sure that the turmeric Powder has been well prepared and dried properly. Any moisture can cause mold to grow.
6. Make sure the bottle used to store the turmeric powder is clean and thoroughly dried.
7. Always use a dry spoon to take out the turmeric because a wet spoon can leave moisture inside.
8. Remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it, or air and moisture will seep into the bottle.
9. Label your Turmeric container, it can often be mistaken for curry powder.
10. Never sprinkle Turmeric directly from the bottle over a hot pot, moisture can get into the bottle this way. Instead sprinkle from a measuring spoon or bowl.
How to store Bulk Turmeric Using a Vacuum Packing Machine
You can also store a large amount of Turmeric Powder in mason jars for a long time by using a vacuum system with a canning jar attachment to remove air and prevent moisture.
Remember exposure to air, light, and heat depletes the Turmeric of its pungency. It dries out the natural oils that keeps them tasting fresh so by removing the air you increase the lenght of time your powder can last for.
And a Vacuum System with a canning jar attachment is a special attachment that removes the air and at the same time seals the mason jars to preserve freshness.
How to Store Baking Powder in a Mason Jar
What you will need
- Properly Prepared Turmeric Powder
- Very clean and dry Mason Jars.
- A food saver machine (Vacuum Packing) with Jar Sealing Attachment
- A Funnel to place over the Mason Jar
Steps to Storing Turmeric Powder in Mason Jars
- First, use a deep spoon to ladle the Turmeric powder into the jars.
- Then full the jars up just leaving about a half-inch of space.
- Next, place a coffee filter or cupcake liner at the top of the jar.
- If you don’t have the filter in place, when removing the air from the jar the food saver may suction some of the Turmeric powder and become blocked.
- And the filter or liner acts as a barrier between the Turmeric powder and the machine.
- Now soak the jar lids in hot water. Wipe the jar lids until they are completely dry.
- Remove any remnants of the Turmeric powder by wiping the around the ring lid of the jar.
- To use the food saver with the canning jar attachment, just place the flat lid on top of the jar – you don’t need the ring to hold the lid on.
- Then set the canning jar vacuum seal attachment on top, connect it to the hose attachment and press the “Start” button on the vacuum sealer appliance. (The hose attachment comes with the Food Saver unit.
- The canister attachment will vacuum out the air from the jar.
- Finally, place the ring around the lid of the Mason Jar.
Uses of Turmeric
Turmeric is the key ingredient used to flavor or color curry powders. Turmeric has been used to color cheeses, yogurt, dry mixes, salad dressings, winter butter, and margarine.
Turmeric is also a popular ingredient in many beauty products as a dye and as a anti-inflammatory treatment for skin conditions such as acne.
It also has powerful medicinal properties.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
The active ingredient in turmeric is Curcumin, which is one of the most beneficial and healing herb compounds in existence.
Turmeric is often used for conditions involving pain and inflammation, such as osteoarthritis.
It is also used for hay fever, depression, high cholesterol, a type of liver disease, and itching.
Some people use turmeric for heartburn, thinking and memory skills, inflammatory bowel disease, stress, and many other conditions,
Curcumin is known to have very strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Note that there are no strong studies that support claims that the curcuminoids in turmeric reduce inflammation. There are more studies being conducted to see if it is helpful in a variety of conditions, including cancer, colitis, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and rheumatoid arthritis