9 Best Pancake Syrups – To Make Your Pancakes Taste Amazing
While there are millions of variations of pancake recipes, we seldom hear about the other half of this mighty duo, the all-important Pancake Syrup.
After all, I think the syrup is equally as important to any type or flavor of pancake just like how ketchup is to french fries. So in this article, we will be comparing the different brands and types of pancake syrups and hopefully help you to pick the one that is right for you.
These are our top 9 Best Pancake Syrups:
- Mrs. Butterworth’s (Delicious buttery flavor)
- Hungry Jack (A close maple substitute)
- Aunt Jemima (Very sweet)
- Log Cabin (Caramel flavor)
- Karo Pancake Syrup (A Versatile corn syrup)
- Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup (Healthy low-calorie syrup)
- Butternut Mountain Farm (Pure Maple Syrup)
- ChocZero’s Maple Syrup (Sugar-free)
- Trader Joe’s Maple Syrup (Affordable Maple Syrup)
I didn’t think it was fair to compare authentic maple syrup with the other store-bought pancakes syrup so I divided this review into two categories, Regular Pancake Syrup, and Real Maple Syrup.
You see a lot of people prefer Maple Syrup, as a topping for their pancakes but it is not always available and when it is available it tends to be very pricey.
So in this article, I will be focusing on finding out which of the major brands of regular pancake syrup can claim the title of best pancake syrup and I included a few of the best maple syrup brands.
1. Mrs. Butterworth’s
Out of the many non-maple varieties of syrups reviewed Mrs. Butterworth’s is my favorite syrup. I think it is very well balanced, being thick and sweet with a mild buttery taste that comes from the molasses that is added to the syrup. It is delicious and not overly sweet.
A serving of Mrs. Butterworth’s is 210 calories and a serving is about 1/4 cup. But I don’t usually use the suggested serving size on my pancakes this is because of how rich and thick this syrup is.
The taste of Mrs. Buttersworth was very nostalgic for me since this was a brand that I ate quite often with waffles or pancakes as a kid. The brand has been around since 1961 and even offers a sugar-free syrup.
I told myself that I wouldn’t allow nostalgia to bias my opinion. I hoped that now I have a more sophisticated pallet now and that my taste buds have evolved. But I realized that most people would associate the taste of their childhood foods to fond memories, and this would somehow make the food taste better.
So I did not want to be biased and decided to seek my family and a few friends’ opinions on each syrup, and the general consensus was that Mrs. Butterworth’s Syrup was the winner.
Pros of Mrs. Butterworth’s Pancake Syrup
- Very Delicious with a subtle butter taste
- Very thick yet pourable
- Had a hint of real maple flavor
Cons of Mrs. Butterworth’s Pancake Syrup
- It contains High Fructose Corn Syrup
- The packaging of this syrup might be offensive but the makers of this syrup have recently announced they are repackaging and re-branding the product
Where to Get Mrs. Butterworth’s Syrup
Most supermarkets usually have Mr. Butterworth’s Syrup in Stock but you can get it one Amazon too you can click here to see the current price on Amazon.
2. Hungry Jack Pancake Syrup
Hungry Jack had a very dark syrup with a buttery flavor and a mild sweetness. They are one of the brands that definitely tried to replicate the flavor of maple syrup. And this is why I think they were the best syrup that had the closest flavor to real maple syrup.
Hungry Jack has 110 calories in a 2 tbsp serving of the Original Syrup.
Pros of the Hungry Jack Pancake Syrup
- Has a very rich maple flavor.
- Comes with a Bottle that is microwavable.
Cons of the Hungry Jack Pancake Syrup
- Has High Fructose Corn Syrup
- The consistency is a bit thin and does not stick on to the pancake.
Where to Get Hungry Jack
You can get Hungry Jack on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price there.
3. Aunt Jemima
Aunt Jemima is an iconic pancake syrup that has been around since 1889 and this syrup was one my kids favorite because of its sweet, vanilla, sugary flavor.
Even though, it tries to replicate real maple flavor, the taste is still a bit too sweet for me and not as well balanced as Mr Butterworth’s Pancake Syrup in terms of sweetness.
The calories for Aunt Jemima is the 210 calorie and a serving is about 1/4 cup.
Pros of Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup
- The syrup has a dark rich color.
- If you like sweet syrup, this is the one for you.
Cons of the Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup
- Contains High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Also has racial stereotypes on its packaging and name but has the company has announced that it will change it’s name and packaging
Where to Get Aunt Jemima
Aunt Jemima is one of the most popular brands and is found in most supermarkets and grocery stores. But you can also get them on Amazon you can click here to see the current for one there.
3. Log Cabin
Log Cabin (original syrup) has a dark golden color and a very flavorful taste with hints of caramel and honey. While it is tasty it has a very different flavor than Mrs. Butterworth’s and Aunt Jemima.
The Log Cabin brand has been around since 1887 and offers a variety of pancake syrups including a sugar-free option.
Log Cabin has 110 calories in 2 tablespoon of syrup.
Pros of the Log Cabin Pancake Syrup
- It has one of the only non-maple brands that has no High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Rich Caramel taste
Cons of the Log Cabin Pancake Syrup
- Some people might find this syrup to be too different in taste from other pancake syrup
- Its consistency is very thin
Where to Get Log Cabin
You can get Log Cabin Syrup on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price there.
5. Karo Pancake Syrup
Karo Pancake syrup is a thick caramel-colored syrup made from a corn syrup base and infused with artificial maple based flavor.
It is very rich and can be used with waffles, ice-cream, pancakes and is even a main ingredient in pecan pie.
It has 240 calories per 1/4 cup of syrup.
Pros of the Karo Pancake Syrup
- It is has a very thick consistency that holds onto pancakes.
- It has a delicious maple flavor.
Cons of Karo Pancake Syrup
- Also has high fructose corn syrup.
Where to Get Karo Syrups
You can get Karo Syrups on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price.
6. Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup
Lakanto Syrup is a Vegan, Gluten-Free, Zero Glycemic Sugar-Free Syrup, Low Carb and, Keto Syrup.
It is made with a mix of water, tapioca fiber, Lakanto Monkfruit Extract, natural flavors, sea salt, and other quality ingredients which makes this a sugar-free maple syrup.
Lakanto has a pleasant taste but it doesn’t have an authentic real maple flavor. The flavor seems like it has been infused with a maple extract.
It has 25 calories for 2 tablespoon.
Pros of the Lakanto Syrup
- It works with ketogenic, diabetic, candida, paleo, vegan, low carb, low sugar, non-GMO, and all-natural diets.
- Diabetics can also use this syrup without spiking their glycemic index.
Cons of the Lakanto Syrup
- Has a thin consistency
- It has a slight after taste
Where to Get Lakanto Syrup
You can get Lakanto Syrups on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price there.
7. Butternut Mountain Farm (Pure Maple Syrup)
This Butternut Mountain syrup has a definitive, yet soft maple flavor, as well as lovely hints of vanilla, thanks to the natural vanilla content of the syrup.
This is a Grade A, Amber Color Pure Maple Syrup. Butternut Mountain Farm Maple Syrup is grown from trees in the forests of the Green Mountain State.
It has 200 calories for 4 tablespoon of syrup.
Pros of the Butternut Mountain Farm
- Delicious real maple flavor.
- No preservatives.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- You can use it as a natural sweetener in coffee/tea, cocktails, or over cereal, fruit, yogurt, or pudding
Cons of the Butternut Mountain Farm
- It’s more expensive than the other pancake syrups.
Where To Butternut Maple Syrup
You can get Butternut Maple Syrup on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price there.
8. ChocZero’s Maple Syrup (Sugar-free)
ChocZero is one of the only sugar-free maple syrups on the market. They use monk fruit, a low glycemic index natural sugar replacement.
This sugar-free syrup had a more maple flavor than Lakanto and also has a thicker consistency.
It has 32 calories for 1 tablespoon.
Pros of the ChocZero Maple Syrup
- Nice maple flavor
- Sugar-free and alcohol free
- No preservatives
- Can be used as a sweetener in other foods or drinks such as smoothies
Cons of the ChocZero Maple Syrup
- Not suitable for anyone on Keto or a low carb diet
Where to Get ChocZero Maple Syrup
You can usually get ChocZero on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price there.
9. Trader Joe’s Pancake Syrup (Affordable)
If you love real maple syrup but shy away from buying it because of its high price, Trader Joe’s Pancake Syrup might be the best affordable option for you.
Trader Joe’s Syrup has a rich natural maple flavor yet at an affordable price. It is a 100% real maple syrup with a medium amber color.
It has 200 calories in a 1/4 cup serving of Trader Joe’s 100% Pure Maple Syrup.
Pros of Trader Joe’s Pancake Syrup
- Very affordable pure maple syrup.
- No preservatives
Cons of the Trader Joe’s Pancake Syrup
- It has a slight after taste.
Where to Get Trader Joe’s Maple Syrup
I usually get Trader Joe’s Maple Syrup on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price for it there.
Why Maple Syrup Is so Expensive?
Real Maple Syrup, is tapped from sugar maples in New England and Canada and boiled down into syrup. This process is a very long and labor-intensive one, not to mention that maples are a seasonal crop.
The result is that Real Maple Syrup, is very expensive, the average price of maple syrup in 2019 was $31 per gallon. And because of the high price maple syrup is not really an option as a pancake topping for many people.